POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Be very very quiet : Re: Be very very quiet Server Time
10 Sep 2024 03:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Be very very quiet
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:16:22
Message: <4995b8f6$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:53:14 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>>I think I should start heading to GLLUG, then - looks like the
>>Metropolitan line gets me closest, so I need to switch over at our next
>>stop, which would be Wembley Park.
>>
> What! No Flame Wars here :)

Who said anything about a flame war?  We're just going from "oldest
group" to "newest group" - opposite ends of the same spectrum. ;-)

> Let's visit the dummies at Madame Tussauds. Baker St.

Nice, I meant to get there the last time we visited.  We might visit this
year, still working out the details.

Mill Hill East - gotta avoid that retrograde inversion.

>> the deletion of the supervisor account. :)
>>
> ???

NetWare server.  There's an account even on current versions that's a
throwback to the versions from the early 90's.  It's a hard-coded account
that normally can't be deleted, but the tool I was using (an internal
support tool) can whack anything out of the database.

Thing is, when using the internal tool, CTRL-U removes the entry in the
database that you're looking at, and it reverts to what's called the
"Entry ID" or "EID" with the lowest value:  The SUPERVISOR account
(EID=1).

The tool does have a prompt to "press any key to continue", but it
accepts CTRL-U as one of the "any keys".

So if you end up pressing CTRL-U and it repeats for some reason, you end
up whacking SUPERVISOR.

It's not used for anything important any more, but it still was a
surprise.  I was even more surprised that the database repair tool fixed
it (I didn't think it would do that).

Jim