POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  What the Hell he's doing. (Message 34 to 43 of 53)
From: m a r c
Subject: Re: What the Hell he's doing.
Date: 21 Nov 2008 04:41:47
Message: <4926825b$1@news.povray.org>

49267ef6$1@news.povray.org...
>> I don't see why one would compress dynamics more on a CD with a 90+ dB
>> signal to noise ratio available than on a LP with a mere 60dB :-)
>
> Because usually CDs are played on way cheaper and lower quality equipment
> than LPs?

That's true now than LP desks owners are only audio fans but when it was the
only equipment choice you could find crap more often than gold.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 Nov 2008 09:30:44
Message: <4926c614@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> LPs date to the valve era? It's widely reported that valve amps sound
> quite different to transistor amps...

Hmmm. Most guitar amps are valve. I think the main difference is how
they act in overdrive, as compared to something like MOSFET.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Nov 2008 11:47:54
Message: <4926e63a$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:

> 1. The person who f**ks with computers, programming, etc. so much that
> he is eventually able to turn his hobby into a career.

Sounds like me.

> Those I know of
> this type really do have no lives.

Usually having "no life" can be translated directly into "not having a
girl-/boyfriend" and/or "not enjoying all freetime at bars/pubs/nightclubs".

Yes, I live alone and I actually enjoy my home and being here. That
might have something to do with years of work to get such homy home, but
also has something to do with my nature.

> After the long work hours,

Agreed, I do some days longer than needed. Then again, it has something
to do with traffic - while I can choose my own working times (as long as
I do enough work, so my employer gets what it pays for), I adjust them
mostly so that traffic would be as easy as possible, since my job is
75km away from my home.

> the junk
> food,

Yes, I daily eat at restaurants or lunch restaurants. If that's junk
food, then I'll let it be junk food.

> the smoking,

No, this I can't agree - I've never smoked a single cigarette in my life.

> and WOW, there isn't much time or energy left for a
> life.

Yes, from time to time. But that's not due to listed reasons, that's
because personal case-by-case choices (for example this friday-evening
goes resting, because me and one friend went to get a new puppy for her,
the trip took 17h15min and little over 1Mm - I was at home 4:15 at night).

>  -Shay

-Aero, breaking the generalizing

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Nov 2008 11:49:58
Message: <4926e6b6$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> Yes, but analog sounds better, and you CAN hear the difference!

Yes. Try driving digital signal to the speakers themselves ;).

> ;)
>
> ...Ben Chambers
> www.pacificwebguy.com

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Nov 2008 11:59:43
Message: <4926e8ff$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, but analog sounds better, and you CAN hear the difference!
>
> Yes. Try driving digital signal to the speakers themselves ;).

I rather suspect you'd hear nothing at all. Digital signals usually
operate at frequencies way outside the sensitivity of the human ear, if
not the speaker cones themselves... (Besides being *far* too low
amplitude in the first place.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 21 Nov 2008 12:19:21
Message: <4926ed99@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> A quick google brought up several jobs at Nokia which seem to fit:

And I'll point out that learning about cell phones seems to give you a
lifetime career, in the sense that you can walk into anywhere building
or selling cell phones, say "I know technical details about how they
work", and pick up a job.

(I say "seems to" because who knows if cell phones will be replaced by
something even more magical in the future. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Shay
Date: 21 Nov 2008 12:23:21
Message: <4926ED7B.4070003@none.none>
Eero Ahonen wrote:

> Usually having "no life" can be translated directly into "not having a
> girl-/boyfriend" and/or "not enjoying all freetime at bars/pubs/nightclubs".

Having "no life" is missing out on the kinds in relationships which take
hours and hours to develop - is not being able to keep commitments you
*wan't* to keep - is failing to progress in your personal goals outside
of one non-social area of interest.

I'm a little compulsive, so I've been there myself (most have, I'm
sure), and would be very wary of entering an occupation which led me
into that kind of dark corner. Too many in my generation (I'm 35) have.
We were told as children than programmers would be as respected and
wealthy as doctors. Some can treat computer-work like any other career,
but many get caught up with gaming, chatrooms, internet, learning new
languages, etc..

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 21 Nov 2008 12:50:47
Message: <4926f4f7@news.povray.org>
Shay <sha### [at] nonenone> wrote:
> 1. The person who f**ks with computers, programming, etc. so much that
> he is eventually able to turn his hobby into a career. Those I know of
> this type really do have no lives. After the long work hours, the junk
> food, the smoking, and WOW, there isn't much time or energy left for a life.

  Personally I think you are just presenting your ideal of what "having a
life" is, and when someone does not have it. And it's precisely what I was
talking about: Why is your definition of "having a life" more correct rather
than someone else's? Isn't someone "having a life" when he is happy with
what he is doing?

  Just because someone doesn't act like the majority of people doesn't mean
he doesn't "have a life". Just because someone isn't so social as most of
other people, and just because he doesn't have "healthy" hobbies besides
work doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't "have a life".

  Personally I don't enjoy "socializing" by going to night clubs and bars
and the like. They are noisy, crowded, chaotic and often full of tobacco
smoke. I don't drink nor smoke, I don't enjoy talking with drunken people,
and there's nothing in night clubs and bars that I would enjoy. Yet someone
could say that I "don't have a life" because of that.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Nov 2008 12:53:48
Message: <4926f5ac@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Personally I think you are just presenting your ideal of what "having a
> life" is, and when someone does not have it. And it's precisely what I was
> talking about: Why is your definition of "having a life" more correct rather
> than someone else's? Isn't someone "having a life" when he is happy with
> what he is doing?

I agree.

If I can find a way of living my life that actually makes me happy and
leaves me feelin fulfilled... I'll be happy. :-D

Well... I guess that's kind of a tautology... hmm.

I say that I "don't have a life" because the way I'm living currently
does *not* make me feel happy and fulfilled. And I'm sure there are
plenty of people who never touch a computer who never the less feel just
the same way.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:17:19
Message: <4926fb2f$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>>
>> Usually having "no life" can be translated directly into "not having a
>> girl-/boyfriend" and/or "not enjoying all freetime at
>> bars/pubs/nightclubs".
>
> Having "no life" is missing out on the kinds in relationships which take
> hours and hours to develop - is not being able to keep commitments you
> *wan't* to keep - is failing to progress in your personal goals outside
> of one non-social area of interest.

Ah yes, what I ment is how having no life is normally intepreted here
(physical location, ie. southern Finland). Goes partly on top of each
other - eg. being single can be either own choice or unwanted failure.

> We were told as children than programmers would be as respected and
> wealthy as doctors.

It might have been the image back then, but the world changes. Respect
also depends on who's judging - eg. I don't respect titles, I respect
persons. No matter if you're doctor, lumberjack, stock player, teacher
or anything else - if you're person to respect, you'll gain respect.

> Some can treat computer-work like any other career,
> but many get caught up with gaming, chatrooms, internet, learning new
> languages, etc..

True. Computers and digital world offer so much choices that it can be
very addictive.

>  -Shay

-Aero