POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. : Re: What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:32:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What the Hell he's doing.
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:17:19
Message: <4926fb2f$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>>
>> Usually having "no life" can be translated directly into "not having a
>> girl-/boyfriend" and/or "not enjoying all freetime at
>> bars/pubs/nightclubs".
>
> Having "no life" is missing out on the kinds in relationships which take
> hours and hours to develop - is not being able to keep commitments you
> *wan't* to keep - is failing to progress in your personal goals outside
> of one non-social area of interest.

Ah yes, what I ment is how having no life is normally intepreted here
(physical location, ie. southern Finland). Goes partly on top of each
other - eg. being single can be either own choice or unwanted failure.

> We were told as children than programmers would be as respected and
> wealthy as doctors.

It might have been the image back then, but the world changes. Respect
also depends on who's judging - eg. I don't respect titles, I respect
persons. No matter if you're doctor, lumberjack, stock player, teacher
or anything else - if you're person to respect, you'll gain respect.

> Some can treat computer-work like any other career,
> but many get caught up with gaming, chatrooms, internet, learning new
> languages, etc..

True. Computers and digital world offer so much choices that it can be
very addictive.

>  -Shay

-Aero