POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  What the Hell he's doing. (Message 14 to 23 of 53)
From: scott
Subject: Re: What the Hell he's doing.
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:42:27
Message: <49257753@news.povray.org>
>> sweep, say from 440-3520hz you'll hear a "banding" artifact in the sweep
>
> When I say banding, I mean it almost sounds like mach banding looks. (it
> sounds like sudden jumps in frequency, instead of a smooth transition)

How were you generating the sweep?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:46:16
Message: <49257838$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> sweep, say from 440-3520hz you'll hear a "banding" artifact in the sweep
>
> When I say banding, I mean it almost sounds like mach banding looks. (it
> sounds like sudden jumps in frequency, instead of a smooth transition)

...which probably means the way you're generating the waves constrains
them to have integer wavelengths. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:48:32
Message: <492578c0@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> How were you generating the sweep?

Its been a while since I did it ... I can't remember.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:49:26
Message: <492578f6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:

> ...which probably means the way you're generating the waves constrains
> them to have integer wavelengths. ;-)

Probably. :)

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2008 09:56:00
Message: <49257a80$1@news.povray.org>
> Its been a while since I did it ... I can't remember.

Oh just because I once made a program to generate a sweep something like
this:

for sample = 0 to 100000
 frequency = sample / 1000
 wave[sample]= waveFunction(sample/sampleRate*2*pi*frequency)

Where waveFunction can be your sine wave, square wave or whatever.

But of course it doesn't work like that as I found out...

Post a reply to this message