POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What the Hell he's doing. : Re: What the Hell he's doing. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What the Hell he's doing.
From: Shay
Date: 20 Nov 2008 11:03:55
Message: <49258a6b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I remind her that things like mobile phones will not invent
> themselves, and actually it takes a *HUGE* number of people
> to get a product like that onto the market.

I dug piers out of the mud with a shovel during the construction of the
Motorola building in Austin, TX. So there's +1 person.

Regarding the "geeks having a life" stuff, I suppose it means what you
mean by "geek." I think there are two types:

1. The person who f**ks with computers, programming, etc. so much that
he is eventually able to turn his hobby into a career. Those I know of
this type really do have no lives. After the long work hours, the junk
food, the smoking, and WOW, there isn't much time or energy left for a life.

2. The person who learns some highly-technical skill at College. My
brother is this type. I'm not sure he can program or hack his OS at all.
He is hard-working and compulsive, but not WOW compulsive. He finds
plenty of time in his day for preparing food, exercising, etc.

Kind of like the distinction between a gifted burnout blues guitar
player and a Juilliard-schooled orchestra player. Both are skilled, bot
only one is killing himself for his craft.

  -Shay