POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube lameness Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  YouTube lameness (Message 111 to 120 of 166)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: YouTube lameness
Date: 19 Nov 2008 18:49:28
Message: <4924a608$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:59:57 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> Oh, come on - I think there's a bit of a difference between "you can't
>> post material you don't have the rights to" and "you can't speak out
>> against your government without risking your life".  Again, let's get
>> some perspective, please.
>
>   Soon we will be in a situation where you really can't speak against
> your government (about certain issues) without being fined or jailed,
> which in many cases is effectively almost as bad as risking your life.
>
>   You know, there are certain issues which are becoming more and more
> a taboo, and which are overriding freedom of speech. Not too unlike what
> has happened in China where, for example, speaking about the Tiananmen
> Square events is taboo and will get you fined or jailed.

I'm just speechless, Warp - that you'd equate protecting copyrights to
the Tienemen Square massacre....well, like I said, I'm at a loss for
words.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2008 19:01:34
Message: <4924a8de@news.povray.org>
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:59:57 -0500, Warp wrote:

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> >> Oh, come on - I think there's a bit of a difference between "you can't
> >> post material you don't have the rights to" and "you can't speak out
> >> against your government without risking your life".  Again, let's get
> >> some perspective, please.
> >
> >   Soon we will be in a situation where you really can't speak against
> > your government (about certain issues) without being fined or jailed,
> > which in many cases is effectively almost as bad as risking your life.
> >
> >   You know, there are certain issues which are becoming more and more
> > a taboo, and which are overriding freedom of speech. Not too unlike what
> > has happened in China where, for example, speaking about the Tiananmen
> > Square events is taboo and will get you fined or jailed.

> I'm just speechless, Warp - that you'd equate protecting copyrights to
> the Tienemen Square massacre....well, like I said, I'm at a loss for
> words.

  I was not talking about copyrights.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2008 21:52:05
Message: <4924d0d5$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> Wasn't saying they should - it just sounded quite the opposite of what
> you were saying.

I was speaking of the "regional monopolies" granted local-loop
communications companies in most areas. You really don't have a choice
of who provides the wires and pipes to your house.

> As for looking at it from a moral perspective - I have no idea.

I can see it both ways too. You don't want the government taking over
and putting businesses out of business simply because the government
doesn't actually have to follow rules of accounting. You also don't want
to deny the government from improving things that are best improved by
having buy-in from everyone.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message