POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too many pipes? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Too many pipes? (Message 21 to 30 of 51)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Sum ting wong
Date: 22 Oct 2008 02:27:17
Message: <48fec7c5$1@news.povray.org>
> How did you arrive at
>
> #local XD = waveHeight[X+1][Y] - 2*waveHeight[X][Y] + waveHeight[X-1][Y];
>
> According to my calculations,
>
>   (v[x-1] - v[x]) + (v[x] - v[x+1]) =

That should be a "-" in the middle, because you are taking the differential
of the differential.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2008 02:30:33
Message: <48fec889$1@news.povray.org>
>   (v[x-1] - v[x]) + (v[x] - v[x+1]) =

Oh, and just for clarity, you should probably write that as:

(v[x+1]-v[x]) - (v[x]-v[x-1])

rather than:

(v[x-1]-v[x]) - (v[x]-v[x+1])

In your case it makes no difference because you are differentiating twice,
but in general differentials are usually defined to be positive if v[x]
increases with x.

Post a reply to this message