POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Research (Message 61 to 68 of 68)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Research
Date: 14 Oct 2008 19:02:38
Message: <48f5250d@news.povray.org>
"Gail" <gail (at) sql in the wild (dot) co [dot] za> wrote:
> I've seen similar happen in an old flat I was renting at University. Don't
> know how it happened (not an electrician), but something in the geyser
> shorted and left all of the hot water pipes (and the water) live.
> It's times like that when having a friend who's father works for the city
> council as an electricial comes in handy.

Wow. Reminds me of a short from The Three Stooges :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Austin
Date: 15 Oct 2008 12:39:19
Message: <48f61cb7$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Here are a couple of tips for everyone when working on live equipment. Wear
>>> insulating footwear and keep one hand in your pocket. That way the current is
>>> less likely to find a path through your body.
>>>
>> I am not an electrician, so I know enough to be dangerous.
>> Actually, I studied electrical engineering - so I know enough to keep
>> mostly safe.
>>
>> I was thinking I would write about keeping a hand in the pocket, but you
>> beat me to it.
>>
>> I always have a hand in my pocket when routing wires in my main electric
>> panel where I can't easily turn everything off.  It isn't enough to just
>> keep a hand away - by instinct you will use it to grab on to something.
>>

> I get nervous working over 5V Vcc.

I've been scared of that as well - especially when the circuit that I
wired up actually blows things up.  I got so jumpy at one point I had to
have someone else hook it up to smoke test it.

> A mere tingle :P
> 240 V is not too bad it hurts more but is bearable if it is just through your
> hand. And most of the shock is just shock people do get used to it and can even
> deliberately touch live connectors to test the voltage. The trick is to do it
> fast and the pain level will tell you the voltage. The same way that I learned
> to see how close to boiling water is by dipping my fingers into it (FAST). The
> human body is very resilient.

Never thought of it like that, but it makes sense.
The problem is that someone without experience tries to do it and gets
themselves hut.

Tom

Post a reply to this message