POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2008 13:34:10
Message: <48f62992$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:
> Don't know how it happened (not an electrician), but something in the
> geyser shorted and left all of the hot water pipes (and the water) live.

I was working at a place once where we were doing CP/M development, back
before LANs and stuff. So we had the serial ports on all the machines
hooked to long wires that came up to what could only be called a patch
panel (for connecting machines together, and machines to modems).

One day, "Hey, I can't get the Apple ][ to talk to the Kay-pro."
"Try the Vernace."
"Nope."
"See if the Vernace will talk to the Kay-pro."
"Nope."
"Try the Radio Shack."
"That doesn't work either."

After a few such tries, one of us got a tingle trying to plug the serial
connector into the patch panel. Oh, jeez, house current on the serial
port ground. We managed to fry every single serial port, except that the
radio shack machine had 2 and we only fried one of them.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)