POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:08:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2008 14:43:50
Message: <endcf4tsiamhob1mnev0rqhl9e8a6r3h9v@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:39:19 -0400, Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:

>I've been scared of that as well - especially when the circuit that I
>wired up actually blows things up.  I got so jumpy at one point I had to
>have someone else hook it up to smoke test it.

Nothing wrong with that IMO ;)

>> A mere tingle :P
>> 240 V is not too bad it hurts more but is bearable if it is just through your
>> hand. And most of the shock is just shock people do get used to it and can even
>> deliberately touch live connectors to test the voltage. The trick is to do it
>> fast and the pain level will tell you the voltage. The same way that I learned
>> to see how close to boiling water is by dipping my fingers into it (FAST). The
>> human body is very resilient.
>>

>Never thought of it like that, but it makes sense.
>The problem is that someone without experience tries to do it and gets
>themselves hut.

Yes, you don't do it in front of children. The boiling water thing was shown to
me by someone in the catering trade. There are a couple of tricks for snapping
un-insulated wire you can do. One involves putting a kink in the wire that
fatigues it and makes it break before it cuts you and another that spreads the
pressure over your knuckle stopping it from digging in.
Send $10 and a SAE for the secrets :)
--

Regards
     Stephen