POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Research : Re: Research Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Research
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2008 14:11:03
Message: <2gccf4decitroe8ooa7tiidt5599jjikj7@4ax.com>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:34:11 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>After a few such tries, one of us got a tingle trying to plug the serial
>connector into the patch panel. Oh, jeez, house current on the serial
>port ground. We managed to fry every single serial port, except that the
>radio shack machine had 2 and we only fried one of them.

You're bringing back memories ;)
That reminds me of a job years ago (about 1975). I was using a scope to check
the current flowing through a component and had disconnected the mains earth
wire so that the scope was floating. {So that the probe's reference ground would
not be connected to earth and short out the component's power supply (before
double insulated or floating return paths on scopes. A valve job IIRC)} Every
time someone touched the scope they got a tingle. Looking into it I found that
when the scope's mains filter had been put on back to front and there was a
capacitive bridge between the live-earth-neutral making the chassis sit at 120
Volts. It was limited current but a really sharp tingling.
--

Regards
     Stephen