POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress on the fractal front Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Progress on the fractal front (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: stbenge
Subject: Progress on the fractal front
Date: 28 Sep 2008 22:25:28
Message: <48e03c98@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Last week I decided to try my hand at making a fractal program, to test
some ideas. I may have come up with a new variation of the Mandelbrot.

Here are some snapshots from a few areas:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1o.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1p.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1q.jpg

The program itself is fairly simple. It can only zoom in and reset the
view. To get different resolutions I have to recompile the code. I need
to implement antialiasing. Also the logarithmic smoothing isn't perfect
yet, but looks better than it would if I just returned the iteration steps.

I would rather just use a program already geared towards
user-friendliness, since I'm lazy when it comes to the boring aspects of
programming (Windows API stuff). Does anyone know of a good fractal
generator that lets you alter the parameters at a low, less-abstract
level? I don't mean z=z+c, but rather something like xx=x*x-y*y,
yy=x*y*2. It would have to allow me to use mathematical expressions
since I make use of min(n,n) for the more interesting fractals I've come
up with. I wonder if Fractint would allow me to do that...

Sam

Post a reply to this message

> I would rather just use a program already geared towards
> user-friendliness, since I'm lazy when it comes to the boring aspects of
> programming (Windows API stuff). Does anyone know of a good fractal
> generator that lets you alter the parameters at a low, less-abstract
> level? I don't mean z=z+c, but rather something like xx=x*x-y*y,
> yy=x*y*2. It would have to allow me to use mathematical expressions
> since I make use of min(n,n) for the more interesting fractals I've come
> up with. I wonder if Fractint would allow me to do that...

Yeah, FractInt will do it. The syntax is something like

   x = real(z);
   y = imag(z);
   z = {x*x - y*y, 2*x*y};

off the top of my head...

The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:03:32 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
>more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
>hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
>Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)

Winfract?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
>> more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
>> hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
>> Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)
>
> Winfract?

If you check the other newsgroup, Warp posted a lovely little Haskell
program that prints out the Mandelbrot set in ASCII art. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:41:39 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
>>> more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
>>> hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
>>> Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)
>>
>> Winfract?
>
>If you check the other newsgroup, Warp posted a lovely little Haskell
>program that prints out the Mandelbrot set in ASCII art. ;-)

Sorry, what other newsgroup?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:03:32 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>
>> The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
>> more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
>> hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
>> Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)
>
> Winfract?

For some reason I read that as "Winfarct?". That would even have made
sense as a description of the what happens when you manipulate the video
directly under windoze.

Post a reply to this message

>> If you check the other newsgroup, Warp posted a lovely little Haskell
>> program that prints out the Mandelbrot set in ASCII art. ;-)
>
> Sorry, what other newsgroup?

I was actually kidding.

(But if you have a look at the Haskell groups on this news server...)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:44:39 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>On 29-Sep-08 10:29, Stephen wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:03:32 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>
>>> The fun part - apparently - is getting FractInt to actually run any
>>> more. Being an old MS-DOS program that manually frobnicates the video
>>> hardware in advanced ways, it doesn't tend to run very happily under
>>> Windoze. (Indeed, you might have more luck with the Linux port...)
>>
>> Winfract?
>
>For some reason I read that as "Winfarct?".

Is it my accent? ;)

>That would even have made
>sense as a description of the what happens when you manipulate the video
>directly under windoze.

Too true :)
And Winfract does not do colour cycling :(
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:56:41 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>
>>> If you check the other newsgroup, Warp posted a lovely little Haskell
>>> program that prints out the Mandelbrot set in ASCII art. ;-)
>>
>> Sorry, what other newsgroup?
>
>I was actually kidding.

You got me :) but I've seen a Mandelbrot in ASCII art.

>(But if you have a look at the Haskell groups on this news server...)

Lordy, there is a lot there :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 29 Sep 2008 06:27:28
Message: <48e0ad90$1@news.povray.org>
>> I was actually kidding.
>
> You got me :) but I've seen a Mandelbrot in ASCII art.

And there is, in fact, a Haskell program from Warp that generates one.
(He's learning Haskell, apparently.) Obviously, being a beginner's
program, it's not really useful for much other than learning about
Haskell - so my suggestion to use it instead of FractInt was the part I
was joking about.

>> (But if you have a look at the Haskell groups on this news server...)
>
> Lordy, there is a lot there :)

There is indeed a lot there - and much of it is from a Finnish guy, but
I'm fairly sure there's no Lordy in there. ;-)