POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Progress on the fractal front : Progress on the fractal front Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Progress on the fractal front
From: stbenge
Date: 28 Sep 2008 22:25:28
Message: <48e03c98@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Last week I decided to try my hand at making a fractal program, to test
some ideas. I may have come up with a new variation of the Mandelbrot.

Here are some snapshots from a few areas:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1o.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1p.jpg
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq199/stbenge/complex1q.jpg

The program itself is fairly simple. It can only zoom in and reset the
view. To get different resolutions I have to recompile the code. I need
to implement antialiasing. Also the logarithmic smoothing isn't perfect
yet, but looks better than it would if I just returned the iteration steps.

I would rather just use a program already geared towards
user-friendliness, since I'm lazy when it comes to the boring aspects of
programming (Windows API stuff). Does anyone know of a good fractal
generator that lets you alter the parameters at a low, less-abstract
level? I don't mean z=z+c, but rather something like xx=x*x-y*y,
yy=x*y*2. It would have to allow me to use mathematical expressions
since I make use of min(n,n) for the more interesting fractals I've come
up with. I wonder if Fractint would allow me to do that...

Sam