POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Radiance and irradiance question Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Radiance and irradiance question (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Radiance and irradiance question
Date: 14 Sep 2008 06:25:01
Message: <web.48cce3fb751daa7b33b2d9360@news.povray.org>
I have a question about radiance and irradiance in a very simple scene.

Let's have a scene with just 2 infinite planes: ground and sky. The camera is
somewhere between them so that both are visible.

The ground is pure lambertian surface (ie. totally matte surface, like a white
piece of paper).

The sky emits light evenly and let's say the outgoing radiance is 1.0.
(Actually, I'm not sure what is the correct unit to define this light source,
radiant exitance is probably correct?) And the camera registers that value as
pure white pixel.

The question is: what is the irradiance at each point in the ground? I guess it
should also be 1.0. So the sky should look identical to ground: pure white.
Right? This is the most important question as I need a reference scene to verify
my renderer.

But how do I calculate it?

The way to do it is to integrate over hemisphere at that point acording to light
transport equation. In 2D scene it would be I(1.0 * cos x  dx) and we have to do
it from -pi/2 to pi/2. Right?

The value of that is sin (pi/2) - sin(-pi/2) = 2. Hmm. Not right. Or is it? Most
likely I'm integrating incorrectly or the wrong thing.

Yes, I'm lost and my maths suck...but the correct result would help a lot.

Thanks,
Severi

Post a reply to this message

> The way to do it is to integrate over hemisphere at that point acording to
> light
> transport equation. In 2D scene it would be I(1.0 * cos x  dx) and we have
> to do
> it from -pi/2 to pi/2. Right?
>
> The value of that is sin (pi/2) - sin(-pi/2) = 2. Hmm. Not right. Or is
> it? Most
> likely I'm integrating incorrectly or the wrong thing.

You calculated the total light power collected at that point from all
direction (and hence the amount emitted assuming 100% reflectance).  The
correct answer is 2.  You'll get the same answer if you try to work out how
much light power is emitted from a point on the sky, in fact the integral is
the same.

Post a reply to this message

>> The way to do it is to integrate over hemisphere at that point
>> acording to light
>> transport equation. In 2D scene it would be I(1.0 * cos x  dx) and we
>> have to do
>> it from -pi/2 to pi/2. Right?
>>
>> The value of that is sin (pi/2) - sin(-pi/2) = 2. Hmm. Not right. Or
>> is it? Most
>> likely I'm integrating incorrectly or the wrong thing.
>
> You calculated the total light power collected at that point from all
> direction (and hence the amount emitted assuming 100% reflectance).  The
> correct answer is 2.  You'll get the same answer if you try to work out
> how much light power is emitted from a point on the sky, in fact the
> integral is the same.

Ok. And in 3D the result is? Basically revolving "y=cos x" around y-axis
and calculating the volume. I have forgotten it but I'll figure it out
later...

If irradiance in above case is 2, what about the radiance than is
reflected from that point to a certain direction? (That is equal no
matter what the direction as it is lambertian).

Thanks for your help!

Post a reply to this message