POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:24:52 EDT (-0400)
  Coolest thing EVER! (Message 61 to 70 of 112)
From: Gail
Subject: Re: Coolest thing EVER!
Date: 1 Sep 2008 11:53:16
Message: <48bc0fec@news.povray.org>
news:48bc0a2a$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail wrote:
>
>> No one ever suggested that MS's marketing dept was 'honest'. I've heard a
>> couple of MS developers complaining about the massaged facts the
>> marketing dept was pushing.
>
> One might argue that if MS were to be "honest" about their products,
> they'd never sell any because they all suck so much...

Not all of them.
You're generalising to a hell of a lot of stuff that you've probably never
used based on your experiences with a couple.

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 1 Sep 2008 12:49:42
Message: <48bc1d26$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> No, it's not.
> In my experience though, the majority of DB servers that have
> bottlenecks have IO ones, even on physical machines. Virtualising those
> means needing separate IO paths, separate physical raid arrays, etc or
> the virtuals will compeate with one another for IO.

Yep, but think about a small firm, just started. They want reliable
hardware, they need 2 servers, one for databases and one for something
else that's not so IO-sensitive (authenticating etc). Now, would they
get better performance for the DB's by buying 2 individual servers or by
  using all that money on one server, from which they could utilize most
of the IO from the DB-engine?

I'd probably go with the latter one. Probably, not surely.

> I know that all the
> SQL MVPs who have given an opinion on this have recommend not
> virtualising a production DB, especially not a large one with lots of
> activity.
> I'd happily virtualise a dev or test environment. Not happy about doing
> it to a heavily-utilised prod server though. Not right now.

Yep, there's a huge scale on the db-sized used over the globe. Even if
you'll count out the 2-5 -table one-query-per-day -style ones I
mentioned earlier.

> Well, VMWare's joined the SVVP
> (http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvp.htm), so
> there'll have to be some level of support. How much remains to be seen.

Ahh, nice.

> SQL's not supported at all on existing MS virtualisation products
> (virtual server, virtual PC)

As said, AFAIK those are the ones that run over the main OS, they really
can't pass any unemulated/virtualized command straightly to the hardware.

> and it's not currently supported on Hyper-V
> (which has been available for a month or so)

Hyper-V is still pretty new and at least I wouldn't be sure if they have
actually had the time to test it enough. I'd guess the support on
Hyper-V would get better after some time.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message