POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! : Re: Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coolest thing EVER!
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 1 Sep 2008 16:33:13
Message: <48bc5188@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> But surely if you're going to run a guest OS on the physical host CPU,
> the host CPU would need to have hardware support for enforcing the host
> seperation?

Nope. You don't *need* it. You can, for example, get a chunk of code the
guest is trying to execute, translate the little parts that need changing
to provide security and enforcing host separation, then run it. (I don't
even know assembler, so actually I have no idea what I'm talking about)

VMware Inc has dozens of patents on different tricks to do that efficiently.

And yes, there are *also* CPUs (64-bit Intel and AMD CPUs you can buy at any
shop) that include built-in support for virtualization. That just gives you
more performance; doesn't really let you do anything you couldn't do
before...