POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Am I growing a tinfoil hat? (Message 76 to 85 of 135)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
Date: 8 Aug 2008 14:05:58
Message: <489c8b06@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I always liked the ads that come with those checks: "Cash some in and
> spend it on fun stuff, or pay off bills, or just put it in the bank for
> a rainy day!"  Yeah, right.

If you bring it to our bank, we'll ask you to take it somewhere else :)
  Of the three banks I've worked at, two of them wouldn't ever accept a
CC check.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 8 Aug 2008 14:11:36
Message: <489c8c58$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, with the debit card, you've got a PIN associated with it, so I
>> don't quite understand the issue there.
>
> Not the ones that work just like a credit card, AFAIK. In any case, the
> legal system distinguishes.  If someone's going to steal money, I want
> it to be the bank's money, with them proving I owe it to them, rather
> than my money, with me proving to the bank they need to give it back.

Just for the record, I help people with fraudulent use all the time, and
at least the bank I work at is pretty good about giving people
provisional credit*.  They'll usually get it in less than 48 hours.

*That is, we assume that when you fill out a fraud report you're telling
the truth, so we deposit the missing money to your account.  Once we've
finished our investigation, we either take the money back from you (if
you were just trying to work the system), or pursue it from the
criminals (if you were telling the truth).  In practice, the system
works rather well.  The only people I've ever heard complain about it
are the ones we proved were lying about the fraud.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message