POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Frustration (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Invisible
Subject: Frustration
Date: 5 Aug 2008 11:12:23
Message: <48986dd7$1@news.povray.org>
Have you ever spent an entire day working on an important problem,
finally thought you had it solved, and then discovered that actually it
wasn't solved at all?

I hate days like that...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Frustration
Date: 5 Aug 2008 12:27:59
Message: <48987f8f$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Have you ever spent an entire day working on an important problem,
> finally thought you had it solved, and then discovered that actually it
> wasn't solved at all?
>
> I hate days like that...

Don't you mean:
"I hate days like this"

John

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2008 12:37:25
Message: <489881c5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:12:21 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Have you ever spent an entire day working on an important problem,
> finally thought you had it solved, and then discovered that actually it
> wasn't solved at all?

Many, many times.  Had a network bridged loop problem a few years ago
caused (we think - never did find the root cause) by a failure in STP
between two redundant routers.  The vendor's solution was "unplug the
cable between the two routers for 20 seconds, wait for the software to re-
route, and then plug it back in".

We "fixed" it the first day (we thought) and at 6 AM the next morning, it
happened again.

Just you try and do a sniffer trace of a billion packets and find the
cause.  <sigh>

That was one of the nastiest we had.  We ended up having to redesign the
system because the vendor couldn't figure it out.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Many, many times.  Had a network bridged loop problem a few years ago
> caused (we think - never did find the root cause) by a failure in STP
> between two redundant routers.  The vendor's solution was "unplug the
> cable between the two routers for 20 seconds, wait for the software to re-
> route, and then plug it back in".
>
> We "fixed" it the first day (we thought) and at 6 AM the next morning, it
> happened again.
>
> Just you try and do a sniffer trace of a billion packets and find the
> cause.  <sigh>
>
> That was one of the nastiest we had.  We ended up having to redesign the
> system because the vendor couldn't figure it out.

Interesting. The network in our old building one day started being
clogged with STP packets. I never did find out why. It just *stayed*
clogged. At least, until we got our new building a few months ago.

Gee, 4 years. That's one hell of a long broadcast storm!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/