POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2008 12:37:25
Message: <489881c5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:12:21 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Have you ever spent an entire day working on an important problem,
> finally thought you had it solved, and then discovered that actually it
> wasn't solved at all?

Many, many times.  Had a network bridged loop problem a few years ago
caused (we think - never did find the root cause) by a failure in STP
between two redundant routers.  The vendor's solution was "unplug the
cable between the two routers for 20 seconds, wait for the software to re-
route, and then plug it back in".

We "fixed" it the first day (we thought) and at 6 AM the next morning, it
happened again.

Just you try and do a sniffer trace of a billion packets and find the
cause.  <sigh>

That was one of the nastiest we had.  We ended up having to redesign the
system because the vendor couldn't figure it out.

Jim