POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Frustration : Re: Frustration Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frustration
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 5 Aug 2008 15:48:12
Message: <4898ae7c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Have you ever spent an entire day working on an important problem,
> finally thought you had it solved, and then discovered that actually it
> wasn't solved at all?
>
> I hate days like that...

Yesterday, actually.

I've spent the last month working on the code for a large art piece, the
design of which called for some motion detection which caused the
creatures in the piece to migrate towards the viewer. Can't actually do
mo-cap, and the critter's movements would get picked up, can't move the
camera because it would get flooded by the other projectors in the room.
So, we put it right over the screen, which is parallel to the floor and
on a little stand. Hand moves over the screen, the dark shadow moves the
little buggers.

Then someone gets the bright idea to make the back ground of the screen
dark.

I've 'fixed' the problem with detecting dark shadows against a black
background with so many different kludges the past few days. All of them
worked for a few minutes, until several people got near the display, or
stray light entered the room, or the other displays in the room got
turned on.

Finally, someone listened and made the background lighter again. The
first solution works again.