POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:12:46 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 25 to 34 of 234)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Back to the future [100K]
Date: 22 Jul 2008 11:17:53
Message: <4885fa21$1@news.povray.org>
>> There's a good reason for that: every time you point your eyes
>> somewhere else, all the exposure settings automatically change! ;-)
>
> Of course, but it doesn't affect the fact that 8bit/channel is nowhere
> near enough to give a realistic looking image.

Well... it looks fine to me, that's all I'm saying. ;-)

>> Now there's interesting. Do you have a reference for that? Last I
>> heard, DVD audio typically has lossy compression applied to it...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data

OK, well that's pretty weird. I wonder why they suddenly changed it to
48 kHz then...?

>> [I gather there is a thing called "Super Audio CD", but it hasn't
>> really taken off because nobody can hear the difference.]
>
> Or rather, in the majority of hi-fi systems it is not the 16bit/44kHz
> source data that is the limiting factor on the quality.

Not by a *long* shot! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Back to the future
Date: 22 Jul 2008 11:19:51
Message: <4885fa97@news.povray.org>
>> I was always astounded that "66 MHz" PCs would crawl along unbearably
>> slowly
>
>   False memories. Windows 3 was already used in 6 MHz 286 computers.
> If Windows 3 was "unbearably slow" in a 66 MHz 486, I can only imagine
> how slow it must have been in a 286.
>
>   Obviously given that it was used in practice, it was not that slow.

Ah, OK. Spending 20 minutes waiting for Access to load each time I
wanted to work on my assignment at college must be a false memory then...

>   Why would you even want to use gnome in a slow computer? Use a lighter
> window manager.

Because Gnome does the same thing that AmigaOS does, and lighter WMs don't.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/