POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 11:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 205 to 214 of 234)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Back to the future
Date: 7 Aug 2008 15:49:45
Message: <489b51d9$1@news.povray.org>
>> What *I* wonder about game design is how the hell you model 3D objects.
>> Every 3D modeller I've ever used has been excruciatingly difficult to
>> operate...
>
>      What? Even Wings3D? As far as I know, it's 'the' most easily used
> modeller out there. And very powerful.

I did once try either Wings or Blender. Unfortunately I can't remember
which of those it was! I do remember being utterly unable to make it do
anything at all though...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Aug 2008 15:50:43
Message: <489b5213$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Today's society is full of people who don't want to take the time to
> *learn*, they just expect to be able to understand everything instantly,
> and get frustrated when they don't "get it" within the first 30 seconds
> of using a new tool.

Today's OSS is full of products which come with no manual at all. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>    I'd love somebody from here to test my map, but I don't think anyone here
> plays Crysis.  :o/

Isn't "Crysis" named after the effect it has on your GPU?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:50:42 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Today's society is full of people who don't want to take the time to
>> *learn*, they just expect to be able to understand everything
>> instantly, and get frustrated when they don't "get it" within the first
>> 30 seconds of using a new tool.
>
> Today's OSS is full of products which come with no manual at all. :-P

Well, when it comes to 3D modelling, let's have a look, shall we?

http://www.wings3d.com/ - "User Manual 1.6.1 (PDF)", along with several
tutorials.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Manual - Blender manual.
Probably not as current as it could be, but there are also books on how
to use it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:49:43 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> What *I* wonder about game design is how the hell you model 3D
>>> objects. Every 3D modeller I've ever used has been excruciatingly
>>> difficult to operate...
>>
>>      What? Even Wings3D? As far as I know, it's 'the' most easily used
>> modeller out there. And very powerful.
>
> I did once try either Wings or Blender. Unfortunately I can't remember
> which of those it was! I do remember being utterly unable to make it do
> anything at all though...

Probably blender, it does take some patience to learn how to use it.
Once you learn it, it makes sense, but there's a steep learning curve.

Wings3D, OTOH, right click, add object.  Select object, right click,
select operation....pretty straightforward.

Jim

Post a reply to this message