POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:54:21 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 11 to 20 of 234)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Back to the future
Date: 22 Jul 2008 08:56:27
Message: <4885d8fb$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> What amazes me about the Amiga is how frequently it was used for digital
> effects in a number of TV shows. I just skimmed the Wikipedia article. I
> guess at some point they were running Lightwave, which is a very
> expensive professional rendering package, on it.

Check your history. Lightwave *originated* on the Amiga platform! :-D

(It was originally a value-add product for NewTek's "Video Toaster"
video editing hardware, but eventually became a stand-along product due
to extreme popularity.)

It always was freakishly expensive, but regarded as "cutting edge" in
every concievable way. Every time it was reviewed, it got awards. Amiga
Format rated it Gold more times than I can count. It was showered with
accolades. Seeminly every new version added serious new features that
wowed the critics and boggled minds.

All the Amiga magazines repeatedly claimed that the Amiga was being used
in Babylon 5, Seaquest DSV and Startrek Voyager. There are episodes of
Red Dwarf where you can see an Amiga 500 on the wall. And so on.

LOL, I like Wikipedia's comment about the Video Toaster: "It was the

video revolution."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/