POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Astonishment (Message 51 to 60 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Astonishment
Date: 15 Jul 2008 13:13:58
Message: <487cdad6@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:56:40 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> NASA?
>
> Aren't they those guys who tried to launch a rocket with a faulty
> O-ring?

Um, yeah, and it blew up, killing all crew on board. :-(

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Jul 2008 13:18:16
Message: <487cdbd8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:26:23 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> NASA?
>>
>>> Aren't they those guys who tried to launch a rocket with a faulty
>>> O-ring?
>>
>>   Take two programs of comparable size made in Microsoft and in NASA,
>> and compare the total amount of bugs found during testing. The former
>> will have in the order of thousands, while the latter will have
>> something like 10.
>>
>>   And the latter while never exceeding budgets nor deadlines.
>
> A NASA rocket exploding is something like an M$ product having a severe
> security vulnerability.

NO, it isn't.  People haven't died because of MS security vulnerabilities.

> So far, NASA has had, what, 2 major incidents like this? In its entire
> history?

Three that caused fatalities.  The first was a fire in a Mercury 7
capsule during a test - pure oxygen atmosphere + spark = fire.  All three
crew members were killed.  The most recent two were the Challenger and
the Columbia - the first exploded about 23 seconds into the launch, the
second burned up on re-entry.

Now, if you count the rockets that were unmanned that blew up, there were
a fairly significant number of very spectacular failures.  Find a copy of
"When We Left Earth:  The NASA Missions" to see some archive footage.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> A NASA rocket exploding is something like an M$ product having a severe
>> security vulnerability.
>
> NO, it isn't.  People haven't died because of MS security vulnerabilities.

Yes, but that's because nothing M$ makes is *capable* of killing anybody
[directly]. So a security flaw is about the most serious malfunction it
*is* capable of. :-P

>> So far, NASA has had, what, 2 major incidents like this? In its entire
>> history?
>
> Three that caused fatalities.

I was almost right. :-D

Either way, the number of severe security issues from M$ dwarfs this
number by any reasonably reconing.

> Now, if you count the rockets that were unmanned that blew up, there were
> a fairly significant number of very spectacular failures.  Find a copy of
> "When We Left Earth:  The NASA Missions" to see some archive footage.

Isn't that like counting the number of bugs M$ had *and fixed* before
"launching the product"?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/