POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Jul 2008 13:18:16
Message: <487cdbd8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:26:23 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> NASA?
>>
>>> Aren't they those guys who tried to launch a rocket with a faulty
>>> O-ring?
>>
>>   Take two programs of comparable size made in Microsoft and in NASA,
>> and compare the total amount of bugs found during testing. The former
>> will have in the order of thousands, while the latter will have
>> something like 10.
>>
>>   And the latter while never exceeding budgets nor deadlines.
>
> A NASA rocket exploding is something like an M$ product having a severe
> security vulnerability.

NO, it isn't.  People haven't died because of MS security vulnerabilities.

> So far, NASA has had, what, 2 major incidents like this? In its entire
> history?

Three that caused fatalities.  The first was a fire in a Mercury 7
capsule during a test - pure oxygen atmosphere + spark = fire.  All three
crew members were killed.  The most recent two were the Challenger and
the Columbia - the first exploded about 23 seconds into the launch, the
second burned up on re-entry.

Now, if you count the rockets that were unmanned that blew up, there were
a fairly significant number of very spectacular failures.  Find a copy of
"When We Left Earth:  The NASA Missions" to see some archive footage.

Jim