POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Astonishment : Re: Astonishment Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Astonishment
From: scott
Date: 16 Jul 2008 03:19:12
Message: <487da0f0$1@news.povray.org>
> Some, but definitely not all. Many places a small fix-up may not need a
> day's worth of meetings, but with the shuttle, not a single line of code
> can be changed.

The same happens for code for cars, but IIRC only after the first version
has been released and tested during development.  After that point there is
a huge amount of resource put onto testing and evaluation, and after it has
been "qualified", no changes are allowed without a big meeting and
discussion for even tiny changes.

> Ah, I figured the avionics linkages would be hydraulic, not computer
> controlled.

No, too risky to have lots of hydraulic lines going all round the plane,
also harder to detect when they've (partially) failed and automatically
switch to a backup system etc.

It's funny, because a lot of the time people regard electronics as much more
unreliable than mechanical systems.  It's just the failure mechanisms are
different, but certainly electronics can be made just as reliable as
mechanical systems, and even more reliable if necessary.  Take for example
when cars changed from a mechanical distributor to an electronic system ...
no more getting out the WD40 to dry it out after heavy rain!

>> about to switch it on, and then as he flicked the switch, the mass moved
>> extremely quickly to point B, past point B, kept accelerating and smashed
>> off the end of the demo. Everybody laughed.
>
> Heh. Ouch...

Yeh IIRC, his comment was something like "ok, well that didn't seem to work
then", at which point someone shouted out "no s4!t" :-)

The other system they seemed to be very fond of was the inverted pendulum
controller.  The pivot of the pendulum can be moved left and right by a
motor/pulley system, and the idea is to keep the pendulum's tip upright.
After a hideous amount of maths you finally get to implement it on a real
system and watch how some people's go totally ape and smash against the end,
while most people got theirs working eventually.  In the end it is really
cool to be able to add weights and stuff to the top and wobble it, all the
while the motor is making tiny adjustments to stop it falling over.