POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oi, Darren Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Oi, Darren (Message 41 to 50 of 60)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Oi, Darren
Date: 11 Jul 2008 19:24:09
Message: <4877eb99@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> What is unintuitive to me is that if you draw a numberline on the wall
>> and toss a dart at it (figuratively speaking), your probability of
>> hitting a rational number is zero. That is, there are so many more
>> reals than rationals that the chance of picking a real that's rational
>> at random is literally zero. It would seem there's *some* epsilon
>> chance, but apparently not. :-)
>
>     Well, your probability of hitting a given real number is also 0.
> Same amount of weirdness.

Yes. But I meant my probability of hitting *any* rational number is zero.

>     Advanced probability theory involves measure theory - which I have
> yet to study properly. My guess is what you're saying holds true because
> the set of rationals is a set of measure 0 w.r.t. to the measure they
> use in probability.

I think that was the technical term I saw, yes. Just seemed strange. Not
wrong, but strange. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: Warp
Date: 11 Jul 2008 19:35:56
Message: <4877ee5c@news.povray.org>
> >     Well, your probability of hitting a given real number is also 0.
> > Same amount of weirdness.

> Yes. But I meant my probability of hitting *any* rational number is zero.

  I think that this confuses people because they think that if the
probability for something is 0, that means that it's *impossible* for
that something to happen.

  This is indeed so in the discrete case. However, in this case the
probability is 0 because the total probability of 1 has been divided
among an *infinite* amount of numbers. Thus, mathematically, the resulting
probability of hitting a given number is 0, as 1/infinite = 0.

  *After* you have thrown the dart, the probability to hit the number
the dart did hit grows to 1 (or 100%).

  Or if we say the same thing in another way: Even though there is an
infinite amount of numbers, that doesn't mean you can't choose one.

  (I really wonder if this has any relation whatsoever to the so-called
axiom of choice.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message