POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oi, Darren : Re: Oi, Darren Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oi, Darren
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 12 Jul 2008 01:40:47
Message: <487843df$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think that this confuses people because they think that if the
> probability for something is 0, that means that it's *impossible* for
> that something to happen.
>
>   This is indeed so in the discrete case. However, in this case the
> probability is 0 because the total probability of 1 has been divided
> among an *infinite* amount of numbers. Thus, mathematically, the resulting
> probability of hitting a given number is 0, as 1/infinite = 0.

	Maybe so, but it's not as compelling as a formal proof. In math, you
can't divide by infinity.

	I'm not saying it's "wrong", and your message addresses the dilemma in
another way. The question ultimately is the interpretation of
probability. I know the mathematical definition, but how do I give it
meaning in the real world?

--
Cut my pizza in six slices, please; I can't eat eight.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl