POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Formatting speeds redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Formatting speeds redux (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Darren New
Subject: Formatting speeds redux
Date: 6 Jul 2008 00:30:42
Message: <48704a72$1@news.povray.org>
Bought a new 750G hard drive today, so I thought I'd test out the
formatting speed question. All tests on USB2 connection to same computer.

Format as ext3 - 10:10 (That's 10 minutes ten seconds)
Fsck as ext3   - 11:30 (No files)

Format as NTFS (quick) - 00:14
chkdsk (no files)      - 00:06

I'm pretty sure ext2/3 have control information proportional to the size
of the drive, where NTFS doesn't.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: