POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Formatting speeds redux : Re: Formatting speeds redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Formatting speeds redux
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jul 2008 13:56:44
Message: <4871075c@news.povray.org>
> I didn't even try the other Linux file systems.

  I use ReiserFS for all my linux partitions. Besides being journaled,
it's more compact than many other FSs because it packs file tails into
single sectors. (In other words, if the data in the last sector of two
files would fit in a single sector, ReiserFS puts then into the same
sector.)

  One disadvantage of ReiserFS is that to run reiserfsck the partition
must be read-only. This means that if you need to run it on your main
partition you'll have to boot to single-user mode and remount the
partition to read-only before you can run reiserfsck.

  Another minor (in my case very minor) quirk is that deleting very
large files can take some time (in the order of several seconds),
unlike with some other FSs where file deletion happens instantaneously.
(OTOH, I don't know if this is a property of ReiserFS itself or the
journaling mechanism, and if other journaled file systems suffer from
the same phenomenon.)

--
                                                          - Warp