POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Formatting speeds redux : Re: Formatting speeds redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Formatting speeds redux
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jul 2008 14:24:33
Message: <48710de0@news.povray.org>
> > Besides being journaled,
> > it's more compact than many other FSs

> I doubt I'd notice the difference. Heck, I don't even notice the
> difference between ext2 and ext3...

  You might notice a difference in disk usage if you have enormous
amounts of small files. (In a non-compacting FS every file takes a
multiple of 4 kB, rounded up. With ReiserFS they can take less. For
example if you have 1000 files, each one 128 bytes in length, instead
of taking 4 MB of disk space they only take 128 kB.)

> What I would be curios to know is this. The traditional Unix file
> permissions system allows you to assign a set of permissions to the
> "owner", another set to the "group", and a third set to "everybody
> else". Is there any kind of extension that allows you to assign
> arbitrary permissions to individual users and/or groups beyond what the
> traditional system allows? (I would anticipate the Big Problem with
> attempting to do this would be that it breaks everything that expects
> the old behaviour!)

  There might be some file systems which support additional permissions,
but I don't remember right now.

--
                                                          - Warp