POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fun with cryptography Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Fun with cryptography (Message 65 to 74 of 74)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Fun with cryptography
Date: 8 Jul 2008 10:59:54
Message: <487380ea$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> It appears the report was written by somebody other than the author. But
> then, comments like "OpenVPN seems to be using SSL" make me suspicious.
> As does the fact that SSL and TLS both run over TCP, yet OpenVPN seems
> to be using UPD. That looks like a big enough deviation from the
> standard that I'm left wondering how many design decisions have been
> made with potential security implications.
>
> It's not like OpenVPN just calls the OpenSSH crypto library to do its
> bidding; it looks like a complete new implementation.

Wikipedia claims OpenVPN uses the OpenSSL library.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVPN

Still unclear how it runs SSL over UDP...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Jul 2008 14:53:01
Message: <4873b78d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:59:53 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Invisible wrote:
>
>> It appears the report was written by somebody other than the author.
>> But then, comments like "OpenVPN seems to be using SSL" make me
>> suspicious. As does the fact that SSL and TLS both run over TCP, yet
>> OpenVPN seems to be using UPD. That looks like a big enough deviation
>> from the standard that I'm left wondering how many design decisions
>> have been made with potential security implications.
>>
>> It's not like OpenVPN just calls the OpenSSH crypto library to do its
>> bidding; it looks like a complete new implementation.
>
> Wikipedia claims OpenVPN uses the OpenSSL library.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/manuals/openvpn-21.html -
under "Description":

"OpenVPN is tightly bound to the OpenSSL library, and derives much of its
crypto capabilities from it."

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVPN
>
> Still unclear how it runs SSL over UDP...

From the above quote, it maybe doesn't, but instead uses the crypto from
openSSL.

Jim

Post a reply to this message