POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Complains about Vista (Message 70 to 79 of 129)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Complains about Vista
Date: 8 Jul 2008 09:35:12
Message: <48736d10$1@news.povray.org>
> That's more or less the level of what I'm trying to do too. I make POV-Ray
> render some insane stuff, build AVIs out of it, and then put it onto a
> real DVD so it can be played anywhere. (Plus playing uncompressed video
> seems to stress my HD.)

For playback on PCs (and on the PS3 connected to my TV) I usually convert to
h264 which is really good for high resolution.  I found a program called
xvid4psp which is free and has a nice GUI to do all the conversion, without
needing some huge command line only to find that your player doesn't support
"adaptive b-frames" or some pyramid thingy.

> The thing I've got seems to crash a lot. It allows you to do some limited
> video editing, but stubbornly refuses to allow you to do things like
> insert pauses or writing and so on.

Oh, Windows Movie Maker is good for stuff like that, it's what I usually use
for simple editing with text, still images, pauses etc.  I've got a feeling
that it's only the version that comes with Vista that lets you do HD quality
though, but I guess that's not a problem for you.

> You do realise that I was *in* Curries looking at new TVs only a few days
> ago, right?

That's funny, on their website they have plenty of HDTVs under 400 pounds.

> Really? That's a rather sudden price drop, don't you think? I mean, the
> format is still brand-spanking-new.

Hmm I don't think so, once the PS3 came out, basically nobody could sell a
blu-ray player for above 400 pounds.  Since then the prices have gradually
come down from 350 or so to the 200 you see today.

> Are there even any BluRay titles to play yet?

Amazon only have 1507 titles listed.

> Now that's just puzzling. I tried to use Windows Movie Maker once, and it
> wouldn't do *anything* I wanted it to do. Sure, I could take a bunch of
> videos and join them together to make one video. But that seemed to be the
> sum total of its abilities.

You didn't notice the fades and text and all the effects you could add then?

Post a reply to this message

> For playback on PCs (and on the PS3 connected to my TV) I usually
> convert to h264 which is really good for high resolution.  I found a
> program called xvid4psp which is free and has a nice GUI to do all the
> conversion, without needing some huge command line only to find that
> your player doesn't support "adaptive b-frames" or some pyramid thingy.

I usually just use MPEG-1. It works everywhere, and it's easy to create.
(Doesn't look quite as nice as a DVD though.)

I used to use Huffyuv, but it only gives you a few percent compression,
and then one day it spectacularly stopped working on my PC and I nearly
lost a whole load of renders that had taken months to produce. o_O

>> You do realise that I was *in* Curries looking at new TVs only a few
>> days ago, right?
>
> That's funny, on their website they have plenty of HDTVs under 400 pounds.

Well, unless they only put the expensive ones out on display or something...

>> Really? That's a rather sudden price drop, don't you think? I mean,
>> the format is still brand-spanking-new.
>
> Hmm I don't think so, once the PS3 came out, basically nobody could sell
> a blu-ray player for above 400 pounds.  Since then the prices have
> gradually come down from 350 or so to the 200 you see today.

Oh. So it's Sony's fault? ;-)

>> Are there even any BluRay titles to play yet?
>
> Amazon only have 1507 titles listed.

OK, there is no way anybody could have shot over 1,000 movies in less
than 4 months. That's impossible. They must just be rereleasing SD
content printed on BluRay disks...

>> Now that's just puzzling. I tried to use Windows Movie Maker once, and
>> it wouldn't do *anything* I wanted it to do. Sure, I could take a
>> bunch of videos and join them together to make one video. But that
>> seemed to be the sum total of its abilities.
>
> You didn't notice the fades and text and all the effects you could add
> then?

I noticed the faced, and the fact that these are limited to a maximum
duration of 2 seconds - the exact limitation I was hoping to get round
by using Windows Movie Maker instead of the other thingy.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> OK, there is no way anybody could have shot over 1,000 movies in less than
> 4 months. That's impossible. They must just be rereleasing SD content
> printed on BluRay disks...

What makes you think that older films only exist in SD format?  Do you think
they always used to show SD format at the cinema?!?! :-O

> I noticed the faced, and the fact that these are limited to a maximum
> duration of 2 seconds - the exact limitation I was hoping to get round by
> using Windows Movie Maker instead of the other thingy.

Don't have that limitation here, just go to timeline view and drag the video
clips around after you've applied the transition.

Post a reply to this message