POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Complains about Vista : Re: Complains about Vista Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Complains about Vista
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Jul 2008 09:48:51
Message: <48737043$1@news.povray.org>
> For playback on PCs (and on the PS3 connected to my TV) I usually
> convert to h264 which is really good for high resolution.  I found a
> program called xvid4psp which is free and has a nice GUI to do all the
> conversion, without needing some huge command line only to find that
> your player doesn't support "adaptive b-frames" or some pyramid thingy.

I usually just use MPEG-1. It works everywhere, and it's easy to create.
(Doesn't look quite as nice as a DVD though.)

I used to use Huffyuv, but it only gives you a few percent compression,
and then one day it spectacularly stopped working on my PC and I nearly
lost a whole load of renders that had taken months to produce. o_O

>> You do realise that I was *in* Curries looking at new TVs only a few
>> days ago, right?
>
> That's funny, on their website they have plenty of HDTVs under 400 pounds.

Well, unless they only put the expensive ones out on display or something...

>> Really? That's a rather sudden price drop, don't you think? I mean,
>> the format is still brand-spanking-new.
>
> Hmm I don't think so, once the PS3 came out, basically nobody could sell
> a blu-ray player for above 400 pounds.  Since then the prices have
> gradually come down from 350 or so to the 200 you see today.

Oh. So it's Sony's fault? ;-)

>> Are there even any BluRay titles to play yet?
>
> Amazon only have 1507 titles listed.

OK, there is no way anybody could have shot over 1,000 movies in less
than 4 months. That's impossible. They must just be rereleasing SD
content printed on BluRay disks...

>> Now that's just puzzling. I tried to use Windows Movie Maker once, and
>> it wouldn't do *anything* I wanted it to do. Sure, I could take a
>> bunch of videos and join them together to make one video. But that
>> seemed to be the sum total of its abilities.
>
> You didn't notice the fades and text and all the effects you could add
> then?

I noticed the faced, and the fact that these are limited to a maximum
duration of 2 seconds - the exact limitation I was hoping to get round
by using Windows Movie Maker instead of the other thingy.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/