POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My first nomogram Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  My first nomogram (Message 31 to 40 of 48)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: My first nomogram
Date: 30 Jun 2008 04:35:25
Message: <df6h64l7q7vm0sr74t10vu62saq2140gpt@4ax.com>
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:28:04 +0100, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>>
>> I think modern life is making this a bit worse :(
>
>Spoken like a true oldie!

Yes, I'm beginning to sound like my grandparents :)

BTW did you catch your mice?

>John (a callow youth)

Nay, a sweet faced youth :)

The Comedy of Errors, Act 5, Scene 1
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 30 Jun 2008 04:40:27
Message: <48689bfb$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:28:04 +0100, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> Stephen wrote:
>>> I think modern life is making this a bit worse :(
>> Spoken like a true oldie!
>>
> Yes, I'm beginning to sound like my grandparents :)
>
> BTW did you catch your mice?

Yup! No problemo!
The idiot walked straight into my trap. Prosecution to follow unless the
BoD chicken out
Details at 11

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 30 Jun 2008 05:19:33
Message: <4868a525$1@news.povray.org>
>  Again, you are implying some kind of extreme. Exactly where did I say,
> imply or hint in any way that I didn't *like* the post which started this
> thread? The only thing did was to say I didn't understand it, nor the
> motivations behind making the post. Sure, many could (and will) interpret
> that as an impolite harsh criticism (and "bullying"), but people will
> always interpret everything in the worst possible way.

I thought it was pretty lame of you to make fun of Andrew by posting a small
C program in comparison.

Whether it's your intention or not, your posts certainly seem to be trying
to discourage him to make such postings, which is a shame.  Just because you
may already know everything about nomograms and postscript coding, don't
make fun of other people who are just learning and sharing their
experiences.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 30 Jun 2008 09:16:58
Message: <80nh64druubrr12jh90g37p21hm9or230h@4ax.com>
I was thinking, "Why would Andrew be getting a mammogram?" then I reread the title.

That would perhaps be more interesting, though.  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Jun 2008 09:26:17
Message: <4868def9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> ---------------------
>   Hey, I just wrote a C program which prints numbers from 1 to 100, with
> 10 numbers at each line:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
>     int i;
>     for(i = 1; i <= 100; ++i)
>     {
>         printf("%i ", i);
>         if(i % 10 == 0) printf("\n");
>     }
>     return 0;
> }
> ---------------------

Ohh, wow! That is just sooo cool. and the use of the modulus operator!
Brillant!

:D

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Jun 2008 09:28:40
Message: <4868df88$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Because they might amuse somebody...
>
>   I just can't understand what's so amusing about a PDF file which contains
> some simple numbers and lines.

OK, a bit more serious now. I don't quite understand why they're
interesting either, but he felt compelled to share what he did because
someone else might be interested in it. Andrew has a profound interest
in mathematics, and perhaps here's something deeper to these nomograms
that I don't get.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Jun 2008 09:43:56
Message: <4868e31c$1@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> I was thinking, "Why would Andrew be getting a mammogram?" then I reread the title.

> That would perhaps be more interesting, though.  ;-)

..........??!?

*walks away slowly*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 30 Jun 2008 10:27:48
Message: <4868ed64@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] laptopcom> wrote:
> I thought it was pretty lame of you to make fun of Andrew by posting a small
> C program in comparison.

  I still fail to see the relevant difference.

> Whether it's your intention or not, your posts certainly seem to be trying
> to discourage him to make such postings, which is a shame.  Just because you
> may already know everything about nomograms and postscript coding, don't
> make fun of other people who are just learning and sharing their
> experiences.

  No, I don't know anything about nomograms and little about postscript,
but the post seemed so trivial that I asked why it should be of any
interest. Is there something there I'm not seeing?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 30 Jun 2008 10:31:23
Message: <4868ee3b@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Andrew has a profound interest in mathematics

  Which is precisely why I didn't understand his post.

  I'm profoundly interested in programming, but that doesn't mean I would
post every single little piece of trivial software I make. If I come up
with something *really* ingenuous then I might be compelled to share it
with the few others here who might be interested in clever programming
tricks.

  Thus maybe I just missed something in his post. That's what I asked.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Jun 2008 10:37:23
Message: <4868efa3@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   No, I don't know anything about nomograms and little about postscript,
> but the post seemed so trivial that I asked why it should be of any
> interest. Is there something there I'm not seeing?

Drawing some lines and a few numbers on a sheet of paper *looks* pretty
easy. However, you try making it so that when you draw the lines, you
actually get the *right* answer.

This is more difficult than it sounds...

Sure, the result might just be a few numbers on a page, but it took me
ages to get it to produce the correct answers. (Do you know the
mathematical properties of similar triangles? I had to look them up...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>