POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  License agreements (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: Invisible
Subject: License agreements
Date: 25 Jun 2008 11:43:46
Message: <486267b2$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so here's a strange thing. Take a look at this:

"1.  GRANT OF LICENSE

This license allows you to:

a)  Use the SOFTWARE only on any single computer.  You must obtain a
supplementary license from us before using the SOFTWARE in connection
with systems, multiple central processing unit, computer networks, or
emulation on a main frame or mini computer;

b)  Make one copy of the SOFTWARE in machine-readable form solely for
back-up purposes.  Copyrights laws and international copyright treaties
protect this SOFTWARE.  You must reproduce on each copy the copyright
notice and any other proprietary legends that were on the original; and

c)  Configure the SOFTWARE for your own use by adding or removing fonts,
desk accessories, and/or device drivers."

...this from a piece of softwar that is freely downloadable from the
maker's website without any restrictions of any kind. The 3 boxes they
gave us each contained a pressed CD, but nothing [tangable] you could
describe as a "license".

So, the software is freely downloadable from their website, without any
kind of restrictions, does not require any form of access code to
activate, and when obtained legally comes with nothing to certify it's
legality. But to use it you must "obtain a license".

Is it just me, or does that seem weird to you?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/