POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements : Re: License agreements Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License agreements
From: somebody
Date: 25 Jun 2008 13:04:35
Message: <48627aa3$1@news.povray.org>
news:486267b2$1@news.povray.org...

> So, the software is freely downloadable from their website, without any
> kind of restrictions, does not require any form of access code to
> activate, and when obtained legally comes with nothing to certify it's
> legality. But to use it you must "obtain a license".
>
> Is it just me, or does that seem weird to you?

Not weird. Downloading and using are different. Think of it as shareware
with 0 day limit but not crippled, which may be what's confusing you. In
that case, here's an analogy: The city can deem jaywalking illegal even if
it does not erect 12 foot electric fences around all the roads. In other
words, the fact that the software functions without licensing does not make
using it without obtaining one any less illegal.