POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements : Re: License agreements Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License agreements
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 25 Jun 2008 14:45:37
Message: <48629251@news.povray.org>
>>> Not weird. Downloading and using are different.
>
>> I think what's weird is that you don't need to agree to the license
>> before you download it.
>
> Technically they are different things. The license presumably covers terms
> of use, not terms of downloading. If there *are* terms of downloading, yes,
> there should be a separate license for it, but nobody bothers with it.

In another part of the license, it says "by downloading this software
you agree to the terms of this license" - but you cannot *see* those
terms until after you download it. ;-)

Of course, as you say, uninstalling the software is a pretty easy
solution to that...

>> What's illegal about using the software without a license?
>
> Might as well ask what's illegal about driving a car without a license.
> After all, the car runs fine for the licensed as well as the unlicensed.

Here's the thing that jumps out at me: You can *prove* that you have a
license for a car.

I have no way of proving or even *knowing* if I have a licence for this
software. We paid a company some money and got given a box that contains
[amoung other things] some software. Should I assume that we are
therefore licensed to use that software? For how many PCs? We got a
total of 3 CDs, so does that mean 3 PCs?

If I decide to claim we're licenced to put the software on 13 PCs, can I
prove my claim? Can the makers disprove my claim?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/