POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : License agreements : Re: License agreements Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: License agreements
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Jun 2008 15:25:25
Message: <48629ba5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> In another part of the license, it says "by downloading this software
> you agree to the terms of this license" - but you cannot *see* those
> terms until after you download it. ;-)

In the USA, that's going to generally be unenforcable. You have to know
what you're agreeing to before you agree to it. Basic contract law.

"By opening this envelope we mailed you, you now owe us $1000. Please
send it in as soon as possible."

> If I decide to claim we're licenced to put the software on 13 PCs, can I
> prove my claim? Can the makers disprove my claim?

By putting it on more machines than you have CDs, you're making
additional copies, which can be restricted against your will by
copyright law. But if you only have three, and you didn't agree to a
license at all, and you put it on three machines, you're golden. At
least, in the USA.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: