POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paranoia? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Paranoia? (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Paranoia?
Date: 21 May 2008 14:55:17
Message: <48347015@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Somebody on the Haskell list just wrote
>
> "Did you also by any chance patch Debian's OpenSSL a few years back?"
>
> I think I just got 0WN3D. :-(

Heh, quite badly.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 May 2008 14:56:18
Message: <48347052@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> What...the...hell...?
>
> I just had a closer look at my test data. For reasons *beyond* my powers
> of comprehension, I used a hand-written LCG psuedorandom number
> generator to generate the file contents. Trouble is, the particular
> coefficients I picked have a period of... four.

Familiar with the concept of NIH? (Not Invented Here)

I know the PRNG built into the standard C library sucks, but i think
it's more random than .. well ... your example.

If you were creating a PRNG just fore the sheer academic fun of it, of
course ignore my commentary.

> *WHY* would I do such a thing?! >_<
>
> Of course, The *Real* WTF is that I seeded my broken PRNG using... the
> system PRNG. Which actually works correctly.
>
> Dude. Seriously. What the HELL was I smoking that day?? [shakes head in
> disbelief] I literally cannot *believe* I managed to do something this
> retarded...

I've been wondering that on the project I've been working on. Seriously
all day in a non-air conditioned manufacturing plant is not fun. Of
course the component I'm working on is a major PITA, due to the sheer
number of things that can go wrong both within my control and outside of
my control. :/ and it deals with physical movement of mechanical parts.
Not fun when you really screw up. (Thank God for limit switches)

Post a reply to this message

> "Did you also by any chance patch Debian's OpenSSL a few years back?"
>
> I think I just got 0WN3D. :-(

XD

Post a reply to this message

> Familiar with the concept of NIH? (Not Invented Here)
>
> I know the PRNG built into the standard C library sucks, but i think
> it's more random than .. well ... your example.

I got tired of trying to figure out how to get Haskell's PRNG library to
work right. I figured it would be... hahaha!... easier to do it myself. :-/

>> Dude. Seriously. What the HELL was I smoking that day?? [shakes head
>> in disbelief] I literally cannot *believe* I managed to do something
>> this retarded...
>
> I've been wondering that on the project I've been working on. Seriously
> all day in a non-air conditioned manufacturing plant is not fun. Of
> course the component I'm working on is a major PITA, due to the sheer
> number of things that can go wrong both within my control and outside of
> my control. :/ and it deals with physical movement of mechanical parts.
> Not fun when you really screw up. (Thank God for limit switches)

Hmm. So here "crash" takes on a whole new meaning, eh? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/