POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Busted Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Busted (Message 6 to 15 of 25)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Tom Austin
Subject: Re: Busted
Date: 19 May 2008 14:24:34
Message: <4831c5e2@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Picture the scene:
>
> I get called to a PC that won't boot any more. I remove one of the PCI
> cards, and suddenly the PC works perfectly. Hmm.
>
> On closer inspection, one of the ICs on the PCI card looks... Well let's
> put it this way. The writing appears to be scortched. The surface of the
> IC is apparently damp with an oily liquid. There's a bulge in the
> surface of the IC, together with a few small cracks.
>
> Here's a question for you: Why would an IC suddenly do this?

Someone let the magic blue smoke out.

Seriously - Any number of things can cause a cascading effect.  The card
has the +12v and +5v rails.  If the chip or voltage regulator has
something go wrong, it can cause *unlimited* current & poof.

As to what initiated the event, that's any number of things.
The voltage regulator on the card on in the PS could have had a problem.
The chip could have had a design defect.
The chip could have just normally failed.
A voltage spike could have fried something.
A problem that happened long ago set up the failure, but it didn't
happen until now.
etc....

Tom

Post a reply to this message