POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Busted : Re: Busted Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Busted
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 May 2008 16:20:45
Message: <4831e11d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 May 2008 21:58:09 +0200, Gail Shaw wrote:

> My parent's place got hit by lightning once many years back (back when
> 10-Base-2 was commonly used for networks) Lightning directly hit the
> phone line that was connected to a modem. Modem connected to PC, PC onto
> network cable that had 4 other machines attached.

Wow.

When I was in school in Florida, I had a Vendex V20-based PC (8088
compatible) that was thinking about its first move in a game of chess
(how many remember Sargon IV?); it'd been thinking for about 20 hours
(I'd set it to the hardest level).  Thunderstorm rolled in,  and a
lightning strike hit the power pole outside the window (took out the
transformer).  I'm sure my PC wasn't the only casualty, but all the
pieces were still in the case when that was done...

Jim