POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 11:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  A small puzzle (Message 89 to 98 of 198)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: A small puzzle
Date: 21 May 2008 15:36:09
Message: <29u834pbo6ol5e184jrn26sa7av4jc1hph@4ax.com>
On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:04:01 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

>Warp wrote:
>>   Yeah, I love it that "ounce" means different things depending on whether
>> you are talking about solids or fluids,
>
>Well, there one is weight and one is volume. :-) Of course, "ounce"
>means different things depending on whether you're talking about
>precious metals or dry goods, too, so I can't really say you're wrong.

You forgot about ounce-force (pound-force lbf is more common in my
experience)

>> "mile" means different things on land than on sea,
>
>This is because the "nautical mile" accounts for waves, basically.

LOL
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 May 2008 15:44:30
Message: <48347b9e@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> BTW a myriad is ten thousand .

I'm told that in Old English or something, "severn" actually means
"infinity". Or something like that.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/