POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Warp
Date: 21 May 2008 17:29:47
Message: <4834944b@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Yeah, I love it that "ounce" means different things depending on whether
> > you are talking about solids or fluids,

> Well, there one is weight and one is volume. :-) Of course, "ounce"
> means different things depending on whether you're talking about
> precious metals or dry goods, too, so I can't really say you're wrong.

  One thing I like about the metric system is that terms are always
consistent and don't change meaning (and especially not amount) depending
on what you are measuring. For example, a liter is a certain volume,
period, regardless of whether you are measuring water, flour or air.
(Technically you could also have "a liter of solid rock" if you want,
and it would still mean the same volume, although that's seldom used
in practice.)

  Of course since Americans have this obsession that they can't have
*anything* the same as those pesky Europeans, they even had to change
at least *something* of the metric system: To them it's litre, not
liter (likewise metre instead of meter, etc). Something has to change,
so let's change at least the name. So even the metric system is not holy
enough. :P

--
                                                          - Warp