POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Stephen
Date: 21 May 2008 15:48:00
Message: <fku8341d6lmn51vevpujaabku4vr5nm9uk@4ax.com>
On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:35:25 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> A million is a thousand times a thousand.
>> A billion is a million times a million.
>
>You still stopped before "trillion". What's a trillion in the UK, then?

So I did; a trillion is a million times a billion. Sorry see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

>> BTW a myriad is ten thousand .
>
>It's sometimes funny here. In chinese, there are distinct words (like
>myriad or milliard) for other powers of 10 also, so she often has to
>stop and think for some time to figure out what something like "a
>hundred and six thousand" is in digits.

Interesting, to me a milliard is also a billion (10^9)
With any luck I'll find out more as I've just applied for a job in
China.

>I was talking more
>one, thousand, million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, ....

Again see long scales
--

Regards
     Stephen