POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Career as a School Teacher Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  My Career as a School Teacher (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: My Career as a School Teacher
Date: 28 Mar 2008 09:53:41
Message: <47ed0675$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:

> BTW, I was under the impression that teachers would be graded by the
> aggregate results of their students; not that they would be fired for a
> single student failing.

That's about right. Some of the testing is ridiculous, though. Most of
her students enter her classroom at extremely low literacy levels, and
leave at almost where they should be, but due to the way the test is
structured the end score of those tests show absolutely no growth.

By 2012 there must be a 100% passing rate, or the teachers involved may
not be retained. (The key word is may, it's very possible the teacher
will be retained, but may be subject to disciplinary action.)

Observation of the teacher in the classroom, general performance metrics
of the *teacher* (How well does she manage the classroom, does the
teacher use effective techniques, does the teacher innovate in
demonstrating things in a way the students can understand, is the
teacher engaging the students. Does the teacher share ideas with other
staff. Does the teacher provide adequate one-on-one support for those
students who are struggling. There are plenty of ways a teacher can be
evaluated. How well a student whose parents couldn't care less about
sitting down with their kids and helping with homework, does not
establish good habits, such as a bedtime so the student isn't prone to
falling asleep in class, etc is not the way to evaluate a teacher,
because these are factors beyond her control.)

Post a reply to this message