POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Career as a School Teacher : Re: My Career as a School Teacher Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Career as a School Teacher
From: andrel
Date: 28 Mar 2008 18:16:40
Message: <47ED7C76.4020401@hotmail.com>
St. wrote:
> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> news:47E### [at] hotmailcom...
>> Mike Raiford wrote:

>>> Hmmm. 'No child left behind' My wife was going on about all of the
>>> paperwork she was required to file due to this act. I jokingly called it
>>> the 'No Piece of Paper Left Behind' act.
>>>
>>> She was telling me yesterday, that by some year (I think 4 years from
>>> now, 2012) all students must pass standardized testing, or teachers could
>>> lose their jobs. I replied by stating that it was asinine to think that
>>> the teacher's performance should be judged by the student's performance
>>> on a test. There are MANY more factors that go into the performance of a
>>> child in addition to the teacher. You can't help those who are not
>>> willing to be helped. Parents who refuse to be involved in their child's
>>> education and well being are far more detrimental to that child's ability
>>> to learn than a teacher who gave her best effort in the classroom.
>> Solutions:
>> - pass on poor (performing) students to other schools
>> - try to be more attractive to students from good neighbourhoods/wealthy
>> parents.
>> - let the poor performing fail the year before the test
>> - proclaim the poor performing students ill during the test period
>> - take many disciplinary actions for futile offenses until they
>> 'voluntary' leave school before the test.
>> - ...
>>
>> At least the first four options are actually used in some form in the
>> Netherlands to increase the rating of the school.
>
>     I would say: Introduce competition between schools much like our
> football leagues here in the UK. Give the pupils something to be proud of
> and to work for - a challenge. Have league tables. Give them incentive/s. If
> they are in a school that does *very* well, then that pupil has a better
> option of getting a good job and earning more money when they leave. If the
> school doesn't do well, then the pupils are on the scrap-heap and not the
> teachers.
>
>    I wish that was in place when I was young.

It might seem a good idea, but the problem is that humans are too
intelligent. If you are introducing a competition or grading or whatever
based on a numerical score, teachers and schools are going to optimize
that number. Most of the ratings that I have seen have some perverse way
of increasing the score in a way that works totally against the intended
objective. Base a score on the performance of pupils and schools will
try to get rid of less performing students as soon as possible. It'll
result in a system where the weaker pupils get less and less education.
Another example is that the government here put a fine on too much delay
for trains. Guess what happened. They changed the timetables to include
waiting time at big stations, connecting trains don't wait for a
slightly delayed train and they take trains out of the schedule as soon
as the delay gets too big (the rule states that only running trains
count). Result: more trains on time according to schedule and
significant more delays for the passengers. Moral: never ever assign
numerical scores to performance. No really, don't.