POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My Career as a School Teacher : Re: My Career as a School Teacher Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Career as a School Teacher
From: andrel
Date: 28 Mar 2008 13:48:43
Message: <47ED3DA9.5090405@hotmail.com>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Jim Charter wrote:
>
>> I lasted just four days tutoring in the "No child left behind" effort.
>>
>> Personally, I've never looked back.
>
> Hmmm. 'No child left behind' My wife was going on about all of the
> paperwork she was required to file due to this act. I jokingly called it
> the 'No Piece of Paper Left Behind' act.
>
> She was telling me yesterday, that by some year (I think 4 years from
> now, 2012) all students must pass standardized testing, or teachers
> could lose their jobs. I replied by stating that it was asinine to think
> that the teacher's performance should be judged by the student's
> performance on a test. There are MANY more factors that go into the
> performance of a child in addition to the teacher. You can't help those
> who are not willing to be helped. Parents who refuse to be involved in
> their child's education and well being are far more detrimental to that
> child's ability to learn than a teacher who gave her best effort in the
> classroom.
Solutions:
- pass on poor (performing) students to other schools
- try to be more attractive to students from good neighbourhoods/wealthy
parents.
- let the poor performing fail the year before the test
- proclaim the poor performing students ill during the test period
- take many disciplinary actions for futile offenses until they
'voluntary' leave school before the test.
- ...

At least the first four options are actually used in some form in the
Netherlands to increase the rating of the school.