POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  RIP Gary Gygax (Message 141 to 150 of 230)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: RIP Gary Gygax
Date: 9 Mar 2008 16:24:49
Message: <47d455a1$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 22:01:53 +0100, Gilles Tran wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 47d44731$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> It takes me more time to do equivalent tasks now to what I did 15 years
>> ago.  That's the point.
>
> But what are you doing exactly? Unless your job consists exclusively in
> opening and closing applications and doing absolutely nothing in
> between, that goes *** completely *** against my (20-year) experience of
> using engineering and office software. Startup times are sometimes
> longer, duh. What about the rest, like actually using the software for
> the kind of tasks that are expected in 2008? And here I'm talking about
> office software: spreadsheets, presentation software, databases and word
> processing. That's really looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses,
> sorry.

No, I'm talking about use of office software - see my example, for
example, of using Word and watching it catch up with my typing.  When
that happened, I half expected Clippy to jump in and say "in order to see
your text as you type it, you need to type more slowly" or something
stupid (and about as helpful as Clippy *usually* provided me before I
turned it off) like that.

But I've only been using office and engineering software for 25 years
myself, so I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. ;-)

The problem is that much of our "modern" software includes features that
no sane user wants to use.  I'll admit that if I were to try to do a
crosstab with Lotus 1-2-3, I'd not have been able to do it (because the
feature wasn't there AFAICR), and that is something I use today that
isn't in the older software.

It may entirely be a perceptual thing - but that doesn't make it any less
of a valid observation.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a �crit dans le message de news:
> 47d44731$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> It takes me more time to do equivalent tasks now to what I did 15 years
>> ago.  That's the point.
>
> But what are you doing exactly? Unless your job consists exclusively in
> opening and closing applications and doing absolutely nothing in between,
> that goes *** completely *** against my (20-year) experience of using
> engineering and office software. Startup times are sometimes longer, duh.
> What about the rest, like actually using the software for the kind of tasks
> that are expected in 2008? And here I'm talking about office software:
> spreadsheets, presentation software, databases and word processing. That's
> really looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses, sorry.

Saying "people don't restart the app all the time, so startup times
don't matter" is just like saying "computers are fast nowadays, so
optimization doesn't matter".

Post a reply to this message