POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Mar 2008 23:46:07
Message: <47d4bd0f@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:35:14 +0100, Gilles Tran wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 47d455a1$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> The problem is that much of our "modern" software includes features
>> that no sane user wants to use.
>
> Uh, that's really patronizing.

It wasn't intended to be.

> Featuritis does exist, but it's a too
> common fallacy to think that because one doesn't need certain features
> the're completely useless, like in those funny Slashdot discussions
> where legions of clueless nerds remind everyone that because *** they
> *** are happy using The Gimp to make lolcats everyone using Photoshop is
> an idiot.

It's not a question of "so many features *I* don't need to use", but "so
many features that *most* users don't need to use".  Pivottables are an
example, actually - though I use them a lot, most of the spreadsheet
users I work with have no idea even how to use them effectively.  I've
had to teach people how to use them because they were doing it by hand.

(Which actually, I realise, doesn't prove my point).

>>I'll admit that if I were to try to do a crosstab with Lotus 1-2-3, I'd
>>not have been able to do it (because the
>>feature wasn't there AFAICR), and that is something I use today that
>>isn't in the older software.
>
> 1-2-3 would be completely useless by modern standards, and not just
> because of crosstab. Really useless, like a brick. And I loved it for
> years, until I switched. You'll pry my bloated Excel from my dead cold
> hands ;)

I don't know that 1-2-3 would be completely useless by modern standards -
I think a lot of tasks that people use Excel for these days aren't much
beyond what 1-2-3 was capable of.

As for what I use, I'm an avowed OpenOffice 2.3 user.  You can have your
Excel, oocalc does everything I have a need for, and the price is most
definitely right. ;-)

Jim